Monday, February 17, 2014

Yikes - When I'm Not in Italy - Where Am I?

For the past year Nonna's Mulberry Tree has been my creative savior.  On that blog I share the stories of how a type A personality manages to live in Pontelandolfo, Italy explore her roots and ultimately learn, "Il Dloce Fa Niente" - the sweetness of doing nothing.

Today, I am in Ambato, Ecuador and want to share what I've discovered.  Well, where could I write about great meals for less than $5 or the warmth of the Ecuadorians?  I had no choice.  I had to start a new blog!

Welcome to Where in the World is Midge?





Jack and I looked out the window, heard the weather reports, checked the expiration dates on our passports, found out if my Godson could house sit and how much we owed on our credit cards.  All the stars were in alignment and we booked flights on Delta to visit chums in Ecuador. Hell, our Anniversary was Valentine's Day - we looked at this as a his and her gift.  (Confession, I didn't even buy Jack a card.  In Ambato on Valentine's Day - our 20 plus anniversary - not one - GUILT -  but two cards - now I have EXTREME GUILT- were on the table for me.)

This was my first Delta flight. Folks were easy to deal with - the Delta Newark Liberty terminal experience was seamless - we even had okay sushi for lunch. 



BUT - yeah, yeah, there had to be one BUT. My butt wedged in a seat next to uber green man. Delta doesn't have a premium economy seat like Alitalia which is wider, has better service and more leg room.  We paid Delta extra for expanded couch seats which gave more leg room but in a three across seat you still feel like you're in steerage.  When Jack booked the seats he selected a deuce.  When we got to the plane it was not a deuce but a squishy threesome. Jack sat next to the window and I got the torturous middle seat.  The guy I sat next to tossed his well used backpack under the seat - he obviously was the type who hiked across the continent and was very green.  So green that he didn't waste water on a shower.  UGGGGG

Flights from Newark through Atlanta only land at Quito International Airport in Ecuador at midnight.  That airport was small and super.  We got our bags and found a cab.  Thirty USA dollars - Ecuador's official currency is the US dollar -  and one hour later were at our hotel on Plaza San Bas in Quito - the capital of Ecuador.  The cute little Hostel San Bas cost us the incredible price of $27 a night!!!

Yikes, I'm babbling.  My intent was to give you the heads up that I would be blogging about more than living in Italy.  

Subscribe and add your comments to the blog.  Let's have a dialogue about traveling and all of our acts - the second act being full of adventure.

Enough for now.  Stay tuned for the Ecuador adventure and be able to know the answer to - WHERE IN THE WORLD IS MIDGE?






2 comments: